I'm not sure, but I suspect that closures would be hard to understand
unless one had a good understanding of variable binding, scope, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Edward Gray II [mailto:james / grayproductions.net]
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 11:41 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Just a question to throw out there...

On Nov 3, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Hartin, Brian wrote:

> As you've
> seen, passing blocks of code as arguments comes up fairly early in the
> reading.  This is a fairly advanced idea for someone new to
> programming.

Are you sure?  I honestly don't know, I'm just asking.  I'm wondering
if it was hard *because* we are experienced programmers.  Newcomers
don't have that existing knowledge to overcome.

For example, iterators were quite a bit of adjustment for me when I
was new to Ruby.  I think the main barrier for me though was mapping
all my old loop knowledge to the new way of doing things.

James Edward Gray II
If you were not an intended recipient,