On Nov 2, 2006, at 1:49 PM, Tim Pease wrote:

> Go to your local library and grab the first volume of Knuth's "The Art
> of Computer Programming". Read and understand this book -- it will
> give you a fantastic foundation for any language that you pick up.

IMO not good advice for someone new. There's a good chance that a
beginner, who is told he/she must "read and understand" Knuth to
become a programmer, will walk away from programming forever after
picking up this book. It's a great book, but not for beginners. Did
you read and comprehend Knuth _before_ you got your first program up
and running? Did you master MIX assembly language as your first
programming language?

I think the Chris Pine book is a far better recommendation.

    http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

> Persevere and good luck!

Now that's good advice.

Regards, Morton