Dan -

First of all, thanks for fixing this.

A general comment on this issue is: why in Ruby, the basic operation on
files needs special treatment, and short of being cross-platform? If I
am invoking a exotic feature that is windows only, import a win32
module would make more sense to me.

In Python, the operation is uniform cross the platform
import os.path
os.path.getsize("filename")

maybe many folks probably won't agree this, but I tend to regard the
core File.size() won't work with larger file on windows a bug, though a
minor one.

Best,
Oliver