What is the fastest way to do a recursive file glob on a remote server?
 Keep in mind that I want to do some filtering based on the directory
name, file properties, and file extensions.
(I want to copy these files, but I assume once I have the list, that
using Net::FTP will be trivial)

I am concerned that just using ftp.chdir and ftp.list will be slow.
Perhaps there is a faster way using Net:SSH.  I had an idea to try to
run a ruby program on the server (ruby is installed on the remote
server)
cmd = "ruby -e ' #{ File.read( ruby_glob_program ) } ' "

Net::SSH.start(SERVER, :username => u, :password => p) do |session|
  input, output, error = session.process.popen3( cmd )