please see the code segment, once I put in "require win32/file", the
scanning process is working properly anymore.

require 'find'
require 'win32/file'

# the following code recursively go into each sub directory and read
file information
# options[] save certain options such as directory to scan and if run
verbosely.

Find.find(options[:dir]) do |path|
    if File.file?(path)
        if options[:verbose]