On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:31:54PM +0900, Ian Leitch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using rb_add_event_hook() with the RUBY_EVENT_RAISE flag, and I'm
> struggling to find a function to tell me what error actually happened.
> I know where it happened with rb_backtrace() which is great, but I still
> need the name of the error.

The last exception raised is stored in ruby_errinfo.

> Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but the documentation for the C API is
> pretty much non-existent. Sure, we have doxygen generated lists of files and
> functions but that's next to worthless without a description of what each
> function does. The README only seems to cover the most common tasks, and
> brief at that.

I agree; we should have better C documentation.  What we do have:
  - README.EXT
  - The pickaxe book
  - the ruby hacking guide - http://rhg.rubyforge.org/
  - the ruby source code (I use this a lot)
  - http://metaeditor.sourceforge.net/embed/
  - numerous articles on the web

Perhaps someone should start a project to document the API.

Paul