matt neuburg wrote:
> Just RTFM.
>
> <http://api.rubyonrails.org/>
>
> (s.v. "belongs_to):
>
>   belongs_to :firm, :foreign_key => "client_of"
>
> Notice the comma? Notice where the colons go?
>
> m.
>
> PS The fact that you could bring yourself to write belongs_to: suggests
> that you don't know Ruby. Over the course of a long life in computers I
> have found that it is helpful to know the basics of the language in
> which one is programming (though, to be quite honest, I've written quite
> a bit of Perl without obeying that rule)...

Hah, that post was *so* Tom Christiansen like, 10 years ago, on the Perl
mailing list. Brings back memories.

Outside of the silly attitude, I'd just like to point out that the
placement of the colons in Ruby is very odd compared to other popular
programming languages out there. Using a :colon like a $sigil takes some
getting used to, and assuming "colon: value" is much more consistent
with JSON/YAML/etc.

Point being, that's an easy mistake to make.

-Nate