On Oct 31, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Ben Bleything wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006, Ryan Davis wrote:
>> hrmmm... to start: slow as dirt, user unfriendly, merging is a bitch,
>> and prone to corruption. The first two really really really bother me
>> on a daily basis. The third not as much but is very important to me.
>> The last one is absolutely unacceptable.
>
> I've not noticed it to be slow or unfriendly, but I learned version
> control on CVS so maybe its just that I'm used to crap.  Merging
> *is* a
> bitch, I'll give you that.

Try to figure out how to emulate 'p4 describe' and make it just as
fast as perforce. For that matter, 'p4 filelog', 'p4 changes', and
'p4 opened -a' (haha, you can't do that one!)

Oh! And try diffing while ignoring whitespace! HAHAHAHA Real friendly
there!

> As for corruption, using an fsfs backend makes it pretty hard to
> corrupt
> a repository except by user error.  I've never seen an fsfs-backed
> repo
> get corrupted.

o rly? What backend does rails use?

> my svn
> ------
> - sudo port install subversion
> - svn co http://svn.bleything.net/somerepo
>
> your p4
> -------
> - sudo port install perforce (okay so this part is the same
> - The 7ish steps listed at http://zenspider.com/ZSS/Process/
> Perforce.html,
>   including one where I wait for you to set up my user

Yup. HUGE hurdle there... and I thought working with the brilliance
that is my code would be worth that. :P I suppose I could create a
script to automate this, but it is a one time shot so I don't see it
being worth that. I guess I should consider it a bozo filter. Those
people that seriously want to work on our projects will jump through
our hoops. Those that don't, won't.

The svn mirror is a compromise. We'll get diffs

> There's also the whole "lock individual files with 'p4 edit'" thing,
> which I admit is purely personal preference, but I like the svn
> workflow
> better.

That is a feature and a damned good one I wish svn had. "Oh? Eric is
working on this file? Maybe I should talk to him before I go ripping
stuff up!" Communication. What software development is REALLY about...

> Again, not bad, just different... but in a way that does make it a
> pain
> to adopt.

bah