On Wed, Nov 01, 2006, Ryan Davis wrote:
> hrmmm... to start: slow as dirt, user unfriendly, merging is a bitch,
> and prone to corruption. The first two really really really bother me
> on a daily basis. The third not as much but is very important to me.
> The last one is absolutely unacceptable.

I've not noticed it to be slow or unfriendly, but I learned version
control on CVS so maybe its just that I'm used to crap.  Merging *is* a
bitch, I'll give you that.

As for corruption, using an fsfs backend makes it pretty hard to corrupt
a repository except by user error.  I've never seen an fsfs-backed repo
get corrupted.

> How is p4 less accessible? Easy download and works on nearly any
> platform under the sun.

To take my svn and your p4 repositories as an example, and assuming
darwinports, and understanding that my frustration comes from the fact
that I often want to look at your code without installing it:

my svn
------
- sudo port install subversion
- svn co http://svn.bleything.net/somerepo

your p4
-------
- sudo port install perforce (okay so this part is the same
- The 7ish steps listed at http://zenspider.com/ZSS/Process/Perforce.html,
  including one where I wait for you to set up my user

There's also the whole "lock individual files with 'p4 edit'" thing,
which I admit is purely personal preference, but I like the svn workflow
better.

Again, not bad, just different... but in a way that does make it a pain
to adopt.

Ben