------art_102049_12619628.1162310700054

On 10/30/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:

> Robert Oliver wrote:
> > If that weren't enough, Gentoo has native ports of most Ruby gems, so
> > emerge
> > rmagick for example works nicely too.  When you emerge rubygems, and
> then
> > run something like emerge rmagick, it will put a gem entry in the gem
> list
> > --local command, unlike Debian.  In other words, Gentoo's emerge and
> Ruby's
> > gems don't fight each other like they do on most other distros.
>
> Yeah ... and when a new release comes out, assuming they haven't already
> done so, you can go into their Bugzilla and say "time to do a version
> bump on ..." and they usually get to it if it's got a maintainer. And if
> it doesn't have a maintainer, you probably want to be looking for
> alternatives. :)
>
> > Also, Gentoo's install procedure teaches you quite a bit about Linux.
> > You'll know more about your system after doing it, and have a leg up on
> > knowing how to use Linux right from the start.
>
> One caution with that is that Gentoo administration knowledge doesn't
> translate immediately into Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS or Debian/Ubuntu
> administration knowledge. The Gentoo people have gone out of their way
> to make things easy, as have the Red Hat and Debian people, but all the
> config files are in different places on the three variants. I haven't
> the foggiest idea, for example, how to configure vsftpd on a Red Hat or
> Debian box, but I can do it in my sleep on Gentoo.
>
> Not to take this thread too far left field,
1- Someone from the Rails list has made a project of Rails (and Ruby) LiveCD
using PC Linux I believe.

2- One attractive feature ( I think) of Ubuntu is you can use a usb flash
drive as the /home directory.
I imagine  Gentoo can do the same thing ?  Kind of nice and portable then.

Stuart

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ambient

------art_102049_12619628.1162310700054--