On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 ruby / diekennichnicht.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with getting emails from a special account when I will
> try to get the emails via IMAP (no SSL).
> Here is an example code:
>
> imap = Net::IMAP.new('imaphost')
> imap.login('user', 'pw')
> imap.examine('INBOX')
> imap.search("ALL").each do |message_id|
> end
> imap.logout
> imap.disconnect
>
> This works fine with other accounts!
> The error occurred in line with imap.search:
>
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/imap.rb:972:in `get_tagged_response':
> Protocol error: command unknown or arguments invalid
> (Net::IMAP::BadResponseError)
>
> My Ruby version is: 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i686-linux]
>
> A "puts imap.capability" on a "good" account shows me:
> IMAP4
> IMAP4REV1
> IDLE
> AUTH=LOGIN
> AUTH=CRAM-MD5
> UNSELECT
> LITERAL+
>
> For the account with the error I get only:
> IMAP4REV1

this is bascially telling you the server does nothing for this accnt... which
seems odd.

try adding this to the beginning of your script

   Net::IMAP::debug = true

and seeing if it gives you more information.

ps. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2060.txt

-a
--
my religion is very simple.  my religion is kindness. -- the dalai lama