Hi --

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, pat eyler wrote:

> On 10/30/06, Giles Bowkett <gilesb / gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/30/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
>> OK. There's two things going on here. Firstly, everybody seems to know
>> where I live. I find this kind of unnerving.
>
> I was just extrapolating from your comment about missing denver and
> being interested inhelping with the Southwest RubyConf -- sorry if it
> struck too close to home.  :)
>
>> Secondly, there seems to
>> be some kind of RubyConf cell division occuring that I totally missed.
>>

> Well, there's a desire to run regional RubyConferences to make it easier
> to let a lot of folks attend.  RubyCentral has announced a program to
> sponsor regional conferences, and a number of groups have looked
> at holding one (with or withough RubyCentral's help).  The one, true
> "International RubyConf" is still, and will still be a floating October
> event.  All the rest of us are trying to bring a little bit of that closer to
> home.

That's correct; RubyConf is still a going concern, but Ruby Central
and others are branching out into doing more events too.

> As for me, I'd love to see 4-6 regional conferences around the USA
> every year in addition to RubyConf ... If at all possible, I'd like to attend
> several of them, but then again, I'm just a Ruby addict.

Ruby Central does indeed have a Regional Conference Grant Program, and
we encourage everyone who's organizing one of these events to look at
the grant guidelines and apply if appropriate.  The guidelines are
temporarily living at http://www.rubypal.com/rcg2006.pdf (pending some
server tweaking at rubycentral.org).

David

--