------art_87326_16593878.1162253006963

On 10/30/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:

> Dark Ambient wrote:
> > I have plans at some point soon to switch over to Linux,  possibly
> Ubuntu.
> > Not sure which version. at this point.
>
> What are your criteria for choosing a Linux distro? There's actually a
> web site that will walk you through the decision. I've forgotten what it
> is, though -- I made my choice a couple of years ago and *then* took the
> test. It got the right answer. :)

I'll take a look around for that site.  I don't believe I have any
criteria.  I do not perceive a day I'll be hosting my own apps, so the
server criteria is not important.  I guess ease of use,for installing and
updating Ruby and Rails since that is the primary reason to run Linux.

Seriously, though, Ubuntu is probably the most popular "community
> desktop" Linux. If you're more interested in a server, though, CentOS,
> Debian stable or Fedora might be a better choice. You'll have to manage
> the Ruby and Rails packages yourself -- the "stable" versions are
> ancient if they even exist.
>
> If you like learning about Linux and want the latest stable software and
> want to have things performance-tuned to your hardware, I can recommend
> Gentoo. The Ruby and Rails packages generally show up in Gentoo within a
> day or so of release, and with a little prodding, you can file an
> enhancement bug in their Bugzilla and get beta stuff in. They have a
> fairly complete list of Ruby packages already.

I had a look over at the Gentoo site after reading this. The screenshots
showed Gnome. Having played around with a few live cd's recently I guess I'm
leaning towards KDE.  I'd assume running it under Gentoo is not a problem.

Stuart

------art_87326_16593878.1162253006963--