If you are on Mac, simply print to the Adobe PDF printer.
If you are on Windows, download something like PDF995 which creates a
PDF printer for you.
If you are on Linux, I don't think you have the printer option.
OpenOffice should be able to export a PDF, and you could figure a way
to finagle an API there somewhere most likely.

PDF::Writer is difficult because (to my knowledge) there is no way to
extract data from a Word file programmatically, with the exception of
perhaps using the application "antiword" to extract the text and then
using PDF::Writer to write that back.  Not your best option (because
formatting and such is lost), but it is an option.

--Jeremy