On 28-Oct-06, at 3:01 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Bob Hutchison wrote:
>> BTW, if you are using gcc4 as shipped by Apple, you should re-compile
>> with -O or -O1 rather than -O2, or use gcc3 -- with -O2 you will get
>> strange heap problems after running ruby for a while.
>
> Has a bug been filed on this? Is it unique to Macs, or will any gcc 4
> show it?

Yes, it is 'well' known to apple and the GNU folks. My understanding
is that it was fixed in the very early days of gcc4 but after Apple
took their snapshot (gcc 4.0.1). There hasn't been a patch, at least
I'm not aware of a patch. It shouldn't affect anyone running on linux
anymore (it doesn't affect me on linux).

The bug shows up after a few hours to several days of ruby running.
It apparently either won't or is *very* unlikely to occur in programs
running for less time than that (most ruby programs do not run that
long, I'm running a Rails in Mongrel application that never stops).

Here is a thread that I started last April: <http://
blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/189287>. There
are links in that thread to more information about the problem.

Cheers,
Bob

> I run Gentoo Linux, Ruby 1.8.5 and gcc 4.1.1. If there are "strange
> heap
> problems", I'd like to be able to reproduce them and get them fixed!

----
Bob Hutchison                  -- blogs at <http://www.recursive.ca/
hutch/>