hi -

> > any other suggested alternatives to this approach?
>
> Let your key be an integer.  XOR each byte (or set of bytes) in the
> string by the integer to encode.  To decode, XOR them again.  Let me
> know if you'd like code.  (Actually, I'd be interested to see other
> people's implementations. ;)

I googled a bit and found something in this direction, but cant get
the reverse of it
(at least not a working version!)
Would appreciate a working fragment...

        def encr str
            key = "ABC123abc123ABC456ABC123abc"  # long enough?
            result = (0..str.length-1).collect { |i|
                $stderr.puts("#{i} #{str[i]}")
                str[i] ^ key[i]
            }
            result.pack("C*")
            return result
        end

does the key have to be an integer for XOR ( ^ operator ) to work?

tx!

/dc