"Paul" <fake / fake.net> wrote in message news:Sg4Zg.2$qN6.1 / newsfe03.lga...
> I'm exploring learning RoR, then using it for a new start project.  Been
> reading allot of RoR comparisons to Java.... I'm not formally educated in
> enterprise client/server and have some Q's regarding some of what I've
> read.
>
> 1.   Two-phase commit:  The general tone I read was "if you need a
> two-phase commit, use Java." What is a two-phase commit?  When/Why/Where
> would I want it?  Since I lived without it so far, I think I'm OK now, but
> I like to plan projects with potential for future growth.  If someday I
> did have a business case for 2-phase commit, could I do something in RoR
> to meet that need?
>
> 2.  Can you scaffold in updatable views?   I haven't delved into code yet,
> which might answer this Q.  The reading so far indicates RoR CRUD is table
> centric.  Was wondering if a updatable view was interchangable with
> tables.
>
> 3.   User CRUD roles... are they best maintained by RoR, or by the db?

Bump.

I found some info pertaining to my Q.  Cutpasted from
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/saternos-rails.html:

"The use of Oracle's "Inherently Updatable" views provides a useful
interface for taking advantage of ActiveRecord's object-relational
capabilities. Again, these views serve to format the table structure and
data in a form that is most useful for Rails access. They also isolate the
rails application so that there is increased auditing visibility for the
Rails database user and other application users that access the HR schema.
All the power of Oracle SQL, including Oracle's extensions to the language
and functions, can be leveraged using find_by_sql."

Seems Oracle is Rails freindly... and I have great respect for Oracle db,
though am reluctant to use it because of price.  (yes... I know it's free if
under 4GB... but I could see my app hovering around that barrier).