On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 04:51:59AM +0900, dc wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I need to encode some data with a userID and then also be able to
> decode it with the same key.
>
> This is basically a quick approach to obfuscate URLs. Its for an
> environment where we know the users ID with some degree of certainty.
>
> Are there any libraries/simple algorithms to do this in ruby? it might
> be as simple as bitshiting a string around...
>
> any other suggested alternatives to this approach?

I played around with the Tiny Encryption Algorithm[1] a year or so ago
and ended up with a quick ruby implementation of it that is a snippet on
rubyforge. (http://rubyforge.org/snippet/detail.php?type=snippet&id=101)

enjoy,

-jeremy

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Encryption_Algorithm

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy / hinegardner.org