On 2006-10-27 12:09:44 -0400, "Austin Ziegler" <halostatue / gmail.com> said:

> If a person wants to develop for Windows, they should *never* use Cygwin
> to do that. It's that simple.

Well, if you consider scripting for administration purposes development
then I have to take issue with that... Writing scripts using bash
conventions and platform-specific accomodation has severely diminished
the amount of effort I have to put in to maintain scripts across Linux,
FreeBSD and Windows... Of course, I use ruby wherever it makes sense
but simply wrapping shell commands in ruby is overkill.

That is not to say I like cygwin... compared to a real *nix it is
mighty crufty... for example, getting cron to work reliably qualifies
as a true Feat Of Strength! Using cygwin does ease administration in a
mixed environment though...

But, then again, most of the invective seems aimed at cygwin as a
substitute for proper *nix development...

Cheers,
Tim