> Austin is basically right -- *nobody* should use CygWin as a Windows
> development platform/IDE/whatever. And nobody should use CygWin for Ruby
> or Rails work of any kind on a Windows platform, since everything you
> need is available in native form (the One-Click installer, Instant
> Rails, and a native Windows PostGreSQL).
>
> However, someone (Larry Wall??) flagged laziness as a virtue, so I'll
> ignore Austin's complaints about laziness and continue to use CygWin for
> times when someone gives me 15 minutes to get a job done on a Windows
> platform that would take me several hours or several days to do if I had to
>
> a. Locate a native Windows tool to do it,
> b. Install the Windows tool and
> c. Learn how to use the Windows tool.
>
> :)

I haven't followed this thred so don't know if it's been mentioned, but if
your stuck on windows and don't want to use native windows, maybe try
colinux?

http://www.colinux.org/

I ran that a year or so ago, not ruby, but Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL.  If
those all work, I can't see why ruby wouldn't.

My memory is it was oodles faster than cygwin.  I seem to remember they've
made some progress with the networking to make it appear as your own ip
(similar to cygwin) instead of needing it's own... but i could be wrong
about that.

-philip