Phil Tomson wrote:
> According to this article:
> http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=281&thread=180325
>
> ....Ruby 2 will not have continuations.  Is this true?  If so, why
> would continuations be dropped?   It'll be pretty tough to implement
> RHDL without continuations.
>
> so will Ruby lose continuations right about the time Python is getting
> them?

I think this has been clarified in a few other forums, but it seems that
the situation is as follows:

- YARV does not support continuations now
- YARV can support continuations, but it's not a high priority
- Ruby 1.9.1 + YARV probably won't have continuations
- Matz does want continuations to eventually be supported by YARV

I believe the "no continuations in Ruby 2.0" stemmed from a translation
of Matz or ko1 comment at the Ruby Kaigi...or at least, that's where I
got it from. I guess the general recommendation is that if you need
continuations and would like to see them available in the 1.9 series
sooner, you'll need to cough up a compelling use case.

If continuations become something everyone really must have, I'll try to
find a way to make them work in JRuby. For now, they're unsupported.

--
Charles Oliver Nutter, JRuby Core Developer
Blogging on Ruby and Java @ headius.blogspot.com