On Oct 26, 6:44 pm, "Austin Ziegler" <halosta... / gmail.com> wrote:
> I am equally comfortable in Unix and
> Windows -- and the longtime Mac folks who were at RubyConf this past
> weekend can tell you how quickly I've adapted to the Mac in just two
> months (with some things that I have yet to find a comfortable
> replacement for).

Would you like a candy? A pat on the back? A "who cares - just because
you
want to increase the amount of work you have to do by making your
platforms
completely disparate, doesn't mean I have to?"

[snip]
> > But maybe the *real* discussion is about Windows, I use Cygwin to *forget
> > that Window even exists* it is a therapy for me.

> That's the problem, then. If you want to forget Windows even exists
> when you're using Windows, why the HELL are you using Windows in the
> first place? If your workplace requires that you use Windows, then
> install coLinux and be done with it.

Yeah, because coLinux is a great, flawless alternative. Seriously: what
would
someone gain by installing coLinux over Cygwin, if that person wishes
develop for Windows? You get some speed, but Cygwin's speed is more
than
sufficient for many tasks.

[snip]
> If you can't stand working in the Windows cmd.exe, spend the money to
> get TotalCommander or Directory Opus. I personally prefer TC on
> Windows, but others swear by DOpus. I am basically at the command-line
> to run specific scripts which don't pause when finished. I rarely
> navigate directories by the command-line (I will usually navigate with
> TC and then run cmd.exe if I need a command window).

I have yet to meet the graphical file manager that allows me to work
anywhere
near as quickly and efficiently as I do in bash with Unix utilities.
What
would I gain by shelling out cash for a program which slows me down,
other
than some warm and happy feeling about using completely native
solutions?

> Better to deal with things as they are if you must deal with an
> operating system you do not prefer.

Why? What exactly do you gain?

Best,
James