On 10/26/06, Chris Lowis <chris.lowis / gmail.com> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > (I don't know; I stopped using Cygwin as soon as I
> > found more useful tools that didn't require the whole bloody
> > framework).
> Slightly off-topic, but I'd be really interested to hear of your
> alternatives to Cygwin. Having to install the whole cygwin framework is
> a pain, but I do like having ruby, irb, openssh, latex, and all the
> usual GNU tools available through a _bash_ shell on Windows.

The bash shell isn't necessary on Windows (not if you know how to use
the existing command shell well enough or you use something like Total
Commander, like I do). I don't use openssh on Windows, I use PuTTY. I
have most of the GNU tools that I need through GnuWin32. I use a
native TeX build.

Why do you think you need bash on Windows? IME, you only need it if
you're having to run Unix-style shell scripts.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca