On 10/25/06, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:
> In France uppercase letters accents are optional, I do not think that the
> application of the accents varies by regions. (Dis-le si je dis une gaffe
> Franc, je ne suis pas Fran?ais)

I'm pretty sure that whether or not accented capital letters are
actually accented in French has more to do with typography and
technology than geography or jurisdiction.

I've heard that accents were dropped on capital letters because
accented capitals weren't commonly available on typewriters.  I also
understand that it's falling out of common practice, probably due to
the proliferation of digital fonts.

I just checked with the wikipedia and it seems to confirm this FWIW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalisation#Accents

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby