I have to delurk and admit to being both Australian and living in
London.... I would never try and force that nasty Vegemite stuff on
anyone though. HP, on the other hand, is an acceptable occasional
substitute for proper BBQ sauce.

if anyone wants a beer on a Friday, either in the City/Blackfriars or
NW-something, I might be able to go. I go to Brighton only rarely; if
I want maddening crowds Oxford Circus is close enough.

To keep on topic (!),  I don't know about why and his chunky bacon.
His writing is just too crazed for me to follow and I end up no wiser
and with a headache, but a lot of people can't get enough of him.