ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Austin Ziegler wrote:
>
>> If Matz, as usual, has a 1.8.6 release for Christmas (Matz?) I will be
>> recommending Curt use MinGW to compile Ruby for Windows. The
>> discussions that are going on with Microsoft will be continuing with
>> the preferred target for the VC8 build being next year's 1.9.1,
>> because I suspect it will take nearly that long to build the support
>> tools we need to make this work properly.
>
> thanks for working on this and keeping us in the loop austin.
>
> i'd like to volunteer to help get gsl and narray in the dist if a msys
> build
> comes to fruition - there are few hacks i had to make and it would save
> someone some time if i could relate them.
>
> it would be a huge boost to the science world if ruby came out of the
> box with
> a good matrix toolkit like narray and the vast array of scientific codes
> that
> is the gsl.
>
> kind regards.
>
> -a

1. Yeah, if I can't have narray into the core language, it ought to be
in the standard library.

2. Dang, ara, you're gonna make me learn how to work SWIG on Windows,
aren't you? :)

Seriously, though, once I get all my RAMEAU magic working on its
birthplace, Gentoo Linux, I'd accept some help porting it to Windows and
Macs.

Speaking of which, the goals part of the RAMEAU overview is posted at

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/Rameau/Rameau.pdf?root=cougar&view=co

I'm expecting the first release "Christmas 2006", to continue in the
fine Ruby tradition. I'm not planning to have GSL in the first release,
though, mostly because I don't think I need it given that I'll have R.

By the way, in RAMEAU, I'm trying to stay scripting-language agnostic.
The implementation will use/require Ruby for all the build automation
tasks, and all the test cases and examples will be written in Ruby, but
I don't want to do anything that would rule out users with Perl, Python,
or Tcl/Tk skills using the package. SWIG makes that easy.

But Rake makes it agile and pragmatic. :)