On 10/24/06, Giles Bowkett <gilesb / gmail.com> wrote:
> I was going to say, didn't UML have roots in Smalltalk?
>
> UML is kind of a priestly language, in that it doesn't really seem as
> if it gets used in the real world a great deal, but in its defense,
> learning UML is pretty good discipline for object-oriented programming
> in any language. It's kind of anomalous, because you can't actually
> code in it, yet I think learning UML probably made me a better
> programmer.

That's probably because UML is most often used for class models (more
than anything else, although business types love it for that other
nonsense diagram). Class model diagrams are a poor cousin to ER
diagrams used extensively in data modelling, and learning to do proper
data modelling helps you become a much better software developer (IMO,
you can't do good OO modelling until you know good data modelling in
general).

It also helps prevent you from unleashing stupid data designs on the
world. Too many programmers don't know squat about data modelling.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca