Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
> On 10/24/06, Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think that addresses what I was asking about, i.e., whether
>> French accents on capital letters differ across France.
>>

> It's entirely possible I'm mis-remembering that part of Tim's talk.
> Anyone else remember exactly what he said?  I know he had a slide that
> had an accented 'e' character on it.

That's the way I remember it -- he said that a lowercase accented
character was sometimes uppercased differently, and it varied
"from district to district."

Earlier tonight I think he mentioned Quebec (but with a proper accent
that I don't know how to type).

I wouldn't be surprised if the French sometimes sneered a little at
the French spoken in Quebec, the way (sometimes) Brits make fun of
Americans, or Spanish (or Colombians) make fun of Mexicans.

But heck: Even if he was totally mistaken, his point still stands --
that capitalization is an unholy mess and is to be avoided. (Actually
he might have stated it more strongly.) Mistaken or not on that one
point, I thought the talk was excellent and informative.

Tim: Read my ch 4 when you can and give me your opinion.  ;)

Hal