Sari Connard wrote:
> All,
>
> My goal is to run a ruby (gui/tk) from a usb flash drive.
> I have ruby (for windows) and Active Tcl installed on a usb flash drive.
> I would like to plug this into a windows os machine and not disrupt the
> windows os machine by making any changes to environment settings, and be
> able to run a ruby program using Active Tcl library for the gui.  I have
> been able to run a ruby program (without gui) like this, but have not
> been able to make the Active Tcl library available for the gui.
>
> When I use this line from a bat file located on the usb flash drive:
> \ruby\bin\ruby.exe  -I \tcl\bin -I \ruby\bin -I \tcl\lib -rlibrary
> \tcl\lib\tcl8.4 -rlibrary \tcl\lib\tk8.4 test.rb
>
> The error I get is:
> \ruby\bin\ruby.exe: Permission denied -- /tcl/lib/tcl8.4 (LoadError)
>
> Is there a way to get the Active Tcl libraries available to the usb ruby
> without making any os environment changes?
>
> Thanks, Sari

I built tcl/tk manually (ActiveTCL has distribution restrictions), built
ruby manually and stuck them all in the same directory (containing bin,
lib, etc). I then used this batch script to start ruby:

SET PATH=%CD%;%CD%\bin;%PATH%
ruby main.rb

This way, I'm insulated from other ruby/tk installs on the system and I
don't affect any existing installs on the system (the path change is
purely local). I haven't tested this from a USB drive, but it works for
a zipfile unzipped to a random place on a windows machine and run as a
restricted user.

Andrew