On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> Yes, this is basically it.
>
> Tim Bray feels that case changing is more or less impossible in the
> practical sense.  When you get around to downcasing that string a user
> entered into your web form a month back, are you going to know if that
> string was encoded in a Turkish local (critical info if it contains an "i")?
>
> Even if it were possible, Tim suggests that it's a performance killer.  See
> Java, which tries to address as many rules as it possibly can, for proof.
>
> James Edward Gray II

one caveat that tim did not mention, and which is quite applicable to many
small sites, is that you simply don't always have to care.  for instance, if
your site is in english only to don't have to care.  now, i'm not saying that
is a good idea - but a whole tons of successful business models work that way:
many successful newspapers, for example, publish in english only.  the trick
is knowing if that's what you want up front.  if that's unacceptable then it
does seem like you're screwed.

-a
--
my religion is very simple.  my religion is kindness. -- the dalai lama