WoodHacker wrote:
> Reid Thompson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 22:40 +0900, WoodHacker wrote:
> > > I am sure this will work, but I would rather not use glade.    It
> > > seems
> > > rather bloated to add an XML layer to what should easily be done in
> > > straight Ruby.  I notice that in the glade code you use a
> > > height_request property, which I have done in Ruby, but this only sets
> > > up the initial height (and the minimal height) and does not seem to
> > > effect enlarging the toplevel window.   Why would the code work in
> > > glade and not in Ruby?
> > >
> > understood -- my hope was that looking at the glade generated framework
> > it might show a parameter/value setting, or slightly different way of
> > building the GUI that would allow you to achieve the results you wanted.
>
> I plan to do exactly that.   (I have been travelling and unable to
> really get into it)
> As I've said all along, there has to be some simple thing I'm missing.
>  Prehaps it's in your code.

Why is it that when you figure a problem out the solution is always so
obvious?    I was looking at the menubar and that statusbar (an HBox)
for the problem when issue was with packing them into their container.
  I was using add when I should have been using pack_start.   Add was
left over from a very early example I was using as a starter.

Thank you very much for all the time you've spent on this.

Bill