--------------020802080108060807040602

System: Win95
Ruby -v: ruby 1.6.3 (2001-03-19) [i386-cygwin]
program fragment:
  tmp  short -html2 #{fil}"	# > " + tip_root +
              doc_dir + "\\" + fil  + ".html"
  print `pwd` + " :: "
  puts tmp
  tmp2  #{tmp}`
  puts tmp2

If I execute the commands as shown, then ruby works properly,
the short command works properly, etc.
If, instead, I change the first line so that the tail is not
commented (well, and variable tmp2 is not created), then no file
is created, and, appearantly, a lot of stuff gets written to
/dev/null

(OK, it's windows 95, but I'm executing this from a CygWin shell.)
printing varialbe tmp shows that it contains the desired code,
and executing that code in the shell works properly (assuming
that I'm in the correct directory, which is verified by the
print `pwd` command.

The command was:
$ ruby DocBuilder.rb > out.txt 2> err.txt

(See the attached file, though out.txt has been truncated for
the sake of brevity.  err.txt was empty.)

--------------020802080108060807040602

/cygdrive/c/docs/tip_html/DocProc
DocBuilder.rb/cygdrive/c/Docs/TIP_HTML/
 :: short -html2 utils
<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>
<!-- Generated by SmallEiffel short -html2 style hooks -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>
UTILS: Eiffel class interface</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLORFFFFFF">
<PRE>
<STRONG>class interface</STRONG> <a hreftils.html">UTILS</a>

<STRONG>end of <a hreftils.html">UTILS</a></STRONG></pre>
/cygdrive/c/Docs/TIP_HTML/
 :: short -html2 logger
<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>
<!-- Generated by SmallEiffel short -html2 style hooks -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>
LOGGER: Eiffel class interface</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLORFFFFFF">
<PRE>
<STRONG>class interface</STRONG> <a hrefogger.html">LOGGER</a>

<STRONG>creation</STRONG>
   make

--------------020802080108060807040602--