Reid Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 03:35 +0900, WoodHacker wrote:
> > I'm new to Ruby/Gtk and find it, so far, exactly what I want for a GUI.
> >   However, I have one problem that I can't seem  to figure out and that
> > has to do with setting sizes of widgets.   For example, I want to
> > create a status bar with four display areas.   I can use an HBox for
> > the container and use four status bars for the info.  Works great.
> > I can set the first three to be small for position data and the fourth
> > one to be long for general messages.   Done all the time.   (there may
> > be a better way to do this, but it works)
> >
> > However, if the user resizes the main window, the statusbars stretch in
> > all directions, including height.   I want only the last area to
> > stretch and it only in width.   Setting height and width_requests seem
> > to only affect shrinking the window.
> >
> > I'm having the same problem with my menubar - it stretches in height
> > when the window is resized.   There has to be an easy fix to this, but
> > so far it eludes me.
> >
> > Bill
> >

> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Gtk%3A%3ABox
>
> see section on child props

In the statusbar code, I'm using pack_start as defined in  the section
you quote.   And I get the
status boxes to remain stable in the x direction.   In other words, the
first three boxes stay in their fixed size and the fourth one enlarges.
  The problem is with the y direction.   All the boxes grow in the y
direction.    This also happens with my menubar.   And I believe the
menubar doesn't allow you to use pack - it wants append, which gives
you no control at all.