From: "Matt Wynne" <mattwynne / fastmail.fm>

> In irb, if I require('mkmf') first, I can call
> have_library('iconv','libiconv') and return true, but the line that
> fails in extconf.rb is looking for a function 'iconv_open', and indeed
> if i call find_library('iconv','iconv_open') in that same irb session, I
> get back false.

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but - have you tried just commenting
out that line in the extconf.rb, and seeing if it might build anyway?

(The thinking was, if you're lucky, if just might build anyway; otherwise
it may fail later in the build, possibly giving additional clues about why
it won't build...)

Regards,

Bill