I'm relatively new to unix/osx/ruby so please be as gentle as you
can...!

I'm running Mac OSX Tiger.

When I run ruby extconf.rb to try and install net-geoip-0.06 I keep
getting the error 'extconf failure: need libiconv.'

I'm pretty stuck with this. I have un-installed ruby and libiconv then
reinstalled, all using DarwinPorts. If I run port installed i see the
following:
Vigor10:~/Documents/Downloads/net-geoip-0.06 matt$ port installed
  libiconv @1.11_0+darwin_8 (active)
  openssl @0.9.8b_0+darwin_8 (active)
  readline @5.1.004_0 (active)
  ruby @1.8.5_0 (active)
  sqlite2 @2.8.17_0+darwin_8 (active)
  sqlite3 @3.3.7_0+darwin_8 (active)
  swig @1.3.29_0+darwin_8 (active)
  zlib @1.2.3_0 (active)

So that looks OK, right?

In irb, if I require('mkmf') first, I can call
have_library('iconv','libiconv') and return true, but the line that
fails in extconf.rb is looking for a function 'iconv_open', and indeed
if i call find_library('iconv','iconv_open') in that same irb session, I
get back false.

I saw another discussion on here[1] about the lib-xml component that
also requires this iconv_open function, and someone who seemed to have
it missing, though I couldn't see a resolution on that thread (at least
not one that I understood!)

Any help immensely appreciated, this is my brick wall right now.

cheers,
Matt

[1]http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/55709#39835