> As I said earlier in the thread, what we really need to do right now is to
> identify problems which we believe are being caused by cygwin and file
> some bugs with the cygwin folks - that, it seems to me, is our best
> short-term solution.
>
> Phil

Well one problem is the different versions of the cygwin dll, as you may
know,
although windows has a prefered search strategy for dll (first the dir where
the
exe is then the PATH env var) once a dll with a given name is loaded it
doesn't
attempt to reload it, this means that two apps wich only work with two
different
versions of a dll (with the same name) cannot cohabit in the same machine if
they
were correctly installed (did not copy their dll all other the system) the
first one
which is launched will get to pick the dll in its dir and the next one will
be out of
luck...
I've had this exact problem with the cygwin dll coming with the ruby install
a while
back, if I had launched a ruby script, programs coming with the cygwin
distribution
would suddenly repport dynamic linking errors.
Also I don't know if any of you has managed to run a gtk sample from the
cygwin
distribution, well I haven't and it work like a charm with the mingw32
distribution.
Benoit