On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:50:06PM +0900, Paul wrote:
> I'm exploring learning RoR, then using it for a new start project.  Been
> reading allot of RoR comparisons to Java.... I'm not formally educated in
> enterprise client/server and have some Q's regarding some of what I've read.
First you probably want to ask these questions on the ruby on rails list

> 1.   Two-phase commit:  The general tone I read was "if you need a two-phase
> commit, use Java." What is a two-phase commit?  When/Why/Where would I want
> it?  Since I lived without it so far, I think I'm OK now, but I like to plan
> projects with potential for future growth.  If someday I did have a business
> case for 2-phase commit, could I do something in RoR to meet that need?

I don't knoq=w what this is either ;)
> 2.  Can you scaffold in updatable views?   I haven't delved into code yet,
> which might answer this Q.  The reading so far indicates RoR CRUD is table
> centric.  Was wondering if a updatable view was interchangable with tables.

I don't know what DB you were intending to try this with, but from my
experience, you can sort of do it with views in postgres, but it is a
huge pita. I personally intend to avoid it in the future.
> 3.   User CRUD roles... are they best maintained by RoR, or by the db?

Based on how rails is setup, you almost have no choice but to have this
in the app and not in the db

HTH.