On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:46:42 -0400, Paul wrote:

> I'm exploring learning RoR, then using it for a new start project.  Been
> reading allot of RoR comparisons to Java.... I'm not formally educated in
> enterprise client/server and have some Q's regarding some of what I've read.
>
> 1.   Two-phase commit:  The general tone I read was "if you need a two-phase
> commit, use Java." What is a two-phase commit?  When/Why/Where would I want
> it?  Since I lived without it so far, I think I'm OK now, but I like to plan
> projects with potential for future growth.  If someday I did have a business
> case for 2-phase commit, could I do something in RoR to meet that need?

Two phase commit is a protocol for commiting a single transaction that
spans multiple databases. It's supposedly difficult to do in Java too, but
if you need it you can look into database middleware that can coordinate
distributed transactions so that it appears to your rails app as
though you're only working with one database.

--Ken Bloom

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/
I've added a signing subkey to my GPG key. Please update your keyring.