I'm exploring learning RoR, then using it for a new start project.  Been
reading allot of RoR comparisons to Java.... I'm not formally educated in
enterprise client/server and have some Q's regarding some of what I've read.

1.   Two-phase commit:  The general tone I read was "if you need a two-phase
commit, use Java." What is a two-phase commit?  When/Why/Where would I want
it?  Since I lived without it so far, I think I'm OK now, but I like to plan
projects with potential for future growth.  If someday I did have a business
case for 2-phase commit, could I do something in RoR to meet that need?

2.  Can you scaffold in updatable views?   I haven't delved into code yet,
which might answer this Q.  The reading so far indicates RoR CRUD is table
centric.  Was wondering if a updatable view was interchangable with tables.

3.   User CRUD roles... are they best maintained by RoR, or by the db?

Regards.