Josh Scholar wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > On 10/15/06, Josh Scholar <cafealpha2 / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I just tried a few more things that weren't sufficient to get this
> > > working, one of which was copying zlib1.dll from the one-click install
> > > version of Ruby 1.8.5.
> > >
> > > I suppose I can substitute that for building a custom version of zlib
> > > (I hope).
> >
> > You can't. They're built with different compilers.
> >

> I just tried rebuilding with MSYS/MingW.
>
> It built, it passed "make test", but then there was a problem.
>
> "make install" echoed the commands, but no directories were made and no
> files copied.
>
> I tried the "mkdir" commands by hand, and that did make the
> directories.  But running "make install again" didn't actually copy the
> files.
>
> I have no idea why "make install" is failing.

A search shows that I'm not the first one to have this problem, though
no solution was found before.

Someone suggested using cygwin.

I tried running "make install" in cygwin after building with MSYS.

The first few install lines worked, then the mass of them failed
silently.

So I'm still left wondering what's wrong.