Okay I'm looking to make a basic chat program that I can connect to via
telnet for learning purposes.

I want a user to connect then login in or be able to create a new user,
new users would be saved as files. then when they're in the program they
can talk on different channels by typing "channel1 <message>" or
"channel2 <message>" etc. Also I'd like to put the code in different
files i.e. connection/login/user create code in one file, the
channel/talk functions in another and in a third file a list of the
commands that can be typed pointing to the function name (like
{"<command", function_name} so that when they type the command that's
listed there it will find the correct function and run it) I need help
on how to go about this, psuedo code, code examples etc.