<...>I actually responded to this person musing that
> perhaps we (as in the programming world itself not nessecarily Ruby
> specifically) should form a committee not unlike what exists for html
> in order to adress the issue of differences in syntax and features.
<...>

Er, which version of HTML do you have in mind? HTML2, HTM3.2, HTML4,
HTML4.01, HTML5, XHTML Basic, XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1 or XHTML2?

It was told more than once here: different languages exist for the reason,
just like spoon and fork exist for a reason. Should we start a committee to
unify those too?

Desire to change the world for the better is very good, but id doesn't hurt
to get to know the world before changing it...

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rimantas.com/