Gavin Kistner wrote:
> If you personally find that you are having trouble in this arena, I
> suspect that it wouldn't be hard to write a code analyzer that alerted
> on potential misspellings.

Here's a simple example I just came up with. (If this were to be taken
a little further, it should probably report line numbers. If it were to
be taken a lot further, it should probably use actual parsing of Ruby
code to determine class scope for variables, leave out things that look
like variables inside strings/regexp/comments, etc.)

require 'typochecker'

class Foo
	def foo
		@@name = 'boot'
		@name = 'wow'
		@somethingDelicious = 12
	end
	def whee
		print( @mane, @@names )
		print( @somethingDelicions )
#=> Possible typo: @@name versus @@names
#=> Possible typo: @name versus @mane
#=> Possible typo: @somethingDelicious versus @somethingDelicions

(typochecker.rb)
# http://po-ru.com/files/levenshtein/1.3/levenshtein.rb
require 'levenshtein'

source = IO.read( $0 )
cvars, ivars = source.scan( /@{1,2}\w+/ ).partition{ |v| /^@@/ =~ v }
[ cvars, ivars ].each{ |vars|
  vars.each_with_index{ |v1, i|
    vars[ (i+1)..-1 ].each{ |v2|
      if Levenshtein.distance( v1, v2 ) <= 2
        warn "Possible typo: #{v1} versus #{v2}"
      end
    }
  }
}