--------------enigEB2C806B64FF8A04B209D146

Well, this has sidetracked beyond all repair, but here's my two cents as
a sidenote.

> I'll take this back to computers for a second:
> How is it a positive thing that rpm binaries for Mandriva,Suse, and
> Fedora cannot be used interchangeably with each other?

They can? Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Of course, RPMs are
packaged to require versions of dependencies that are present in a given
release of a distribution, and if an alien package requires newer
versions of its dependencies than are available, you have to get those
too. This however has nothing to do with RPMs being inherently
distribution-specific - the fact they often can't be used
interchangeably is the coincidence of software packagers not spending
effort on making their dependency requirements general enough for this
to be possible.

David Vallner