> ./configure -system-zlib -qt-gif -qt-libpng -debug -no-stl
> -no-exceptions -fast -no-framework -prefix /Developer/qt

Wohoooo ... following Richards suggestion from #qtruby on freenode I
tried to compile QT without the prefix - what can I say - the qtruby
configure now finds QT without any problems (though there is another new
problem now - see below)

So, I compiled it without the -prefix and installed QT in
/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.2.0/

A subsequent "./configure --enable-mac" for QtRuby followed:

checking for Qt... libraries /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.2.0/lib, headers
/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.2.0/include

Nice and excellent so far - thanks for the hint Richard, though I don't
really understand why the config script was not detecting QT at the old
place /Developer/qt, even though I tried to tell it with-qt-dir= ...

However - NEW PROBLEM:
1) my output of configure: http://pastebin.ca/204840 (I was trying this
with and without the smoke lib definition)

2) my problem once I try to run make: http://pastebin.ca/204841

Any idea(s) ??? Thanks so much !