John Gabriele wrote:
> On 10/15/06, Talha Syed <talhasy / hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> So, does anyone know of a good, easy to install OpenGL/GLUT library that
>> I can use on Mac OS X? Thanks in advance for the replies!
>
> Well, we haven't made a release yet, but you might grab (via svn) and
> build the files from http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-opengl/ and
> give it a shot. I think it should work for Mac OS X.

It's good to know someone's maintaining this very useful library.

Do you have any general plans for it, beyond maintenance?

I was browsing the svn tree and saw something that could be improved:
there are some explicit type checks that might not be necessary, such as
this in gl_ClipPlane():

     if (TYPE(arg2) == T_ARRAY)
	ary2cdbl(arg2, equation, 4);
     else
	rb_raise(rb_eTypeError, "type mismatch:%s",rb_class2name(arg1));

Since ary2cdbl() calls rb_Array() on its arg, conversion is done if the
arg is not an array. It's not a big deal, but it's nice to make an API
as duck-like as possible...

Btw I'm planning on rewriting a 3ds loader (was in c++, and not a free
license) in pure ruby. Do you think it would make sense to include it
with ruby-opengl?