On Oct 15, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> Couple of questions from a newbie on OS X (intel PB Pro)...
>
> First, ParseTree doesn't want to install do to compilation issues...
>
> mbp:/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ParseTree-1.6.0 Ken$ sudo rake install

You don't want to run this from the gem.  You'll end up installing a
version that overrides the gem version, so you won't get future updates.

> Password:
> (in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ParseTree-1.6.0)
> sh: line 1: RC_CFLAGS: command not found
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _rb_cObject
> _rb_const_get_at
> _rb_define_singleton_method
> _rb_intern
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> rake aborted!
> error executing cc $(RC_CFLAGS) -bundle  -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -
> pipe  -fno-common -pipe -fno-common -I /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-
> darwin8.0 -o "/Users/Ken/.ruby_inline/Inline_ParseTree_dc10.bundle"
> "/Users/Ken/.ruby_inline/Inline_ParseTree_dc10.c" : 256
> Renamed /Users/Ken/.ruby_inline/Inline_ParseTree_dc10.c to /Users/
> Ken/.ruby_inline/Inline_ParseTree_dc10.c.bad
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ParseTree-1.6.0/rakefile:7
>
> ...perhaps I need to do further ruby setup?

Apple's ruby has a broken rbconfig.rb.  Using a Ruby built from
source will work.

> Also, I first installed ParseTree using 'sudo gem install
> ParseTree' but I didn't get any messages to the effect that that
> had even tried a compile--certainly not any error message. Is gem
> install supposed to compile C extensions when it install something?

ParseTree uses RubyInline so it is compiled at runtime if it hasn't
been compiled before.

> Finally, given that OS X is a bit of an odd bird, is there anything
> else I need to do to make sure installs work smoothly in the future?

Its best to install a newer ruby from source instead of using the
built-in version.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com