On 15 Oct 2006, at 17:41, Rich Morin wrote:

> Here are some books I'd like to see:
>
>   Algorithms in Ruby
>   Robert Sedgewick, ???
>
>     This would show how to implement assorted algorithms,
>     using Ruby's peculiar control structures, etc.
>
>   Higher Order Ruby
>   Mark-Jason Dominus, ???
>
>     This would take MJD's notions from Perl, where they
>     are hard to implement, to Ruby, where they aren't.
>
>   Programming in Ruby
>   David Black
>
>     This would be an "expanded subset" of "Ruby on Rails".
>     It would teach programming, using Ruby as the language.

I like those.

Further to which, I'd really like to see a rewrite of Chris Pine's
book.  I didn't feel that it did a good enough job of introducing new
programmers; although there was obviously a lot of thought put into
the ordering of concepts, some aspects could have been improved.  In
particular, I left that it needed a lot more exercises and solutions
for the student to follow.

Paul