--------------enigAA256D987D4E5019C07C24C5

Hal Fulton wrote:
> I also recommend _Refactoring_ and _Design Patterns_ and
> _The Pragmatic Programmer_.

Along those lines, avoid "Head First", a little too detractingly silly
for me. And "Code Complete" could be a possible alternative / complement
to The Pragmatic Programmer. (Warning, C++ and its -isms inside. Very
down-to-earth and universally applicable book otherwise, especially for
making "real-world" software.)

For learning Ruby itself, I went fine with the free online Pickaxe and
then reading the 1.8 release changelog - more than enough if you've
learned enough programming languages already to know they're all the
same at a level anyway ;P

However, I'd get Pickaxe 2nd ed for the cleaned-up printable standard
lib reference.

David Vallner