Yacao Wang wrote:
> Actually I've been thinking of creating an auto-backtracking engine for
> ruby
> based on the Prolog engine, because it's so much fun to play with
> non-deterministic programming. But I haven't got the time to do it. Has
> anyone have similar ideas or implementations?
>
> On 15/10/06, _Kevin <kevin.olbrich / gmail.com> wrote:

>> least
>> on an
>> > open source platform, all you'd need to do would be to install a Prolog
>> > interpreter/compiler, and then build Prolog source with Ruby and "shell
>> > out" to Prolog. Is there something more "intimately interconnected" you
>> > had in mind?
>>
>> Probably not.  I anticipate that I may need to interface with a
>> particular Prolog application that a colleague has developed, and since
>> the extent of my knowlege of prolog consists mostly of how to spell it,
>> I thought I might enquire about how well it plays with ruby.
>>
>> Shelling out might be all I need.
>>
>> Thanks Ed.
>>
>> _Kevin

Well ... I just took a look at all the Prolog implementations in
Gentoo's Portage repository. There are about five of them, plus another
package for logic programming called "mercury". All of them appear to be
callable as libraries from C, which means you could wrap them as C
extensions fairly easily with SWIG, or even by hand. As usual, a lot of
this magic works well on Linux, probably almost as well on MacOS and
Solaris, possibly on CygWin and probably with some heavy lifting on
native Windows.